Monday, December 13, 2004

gentlemen take poloroids



Gentlemen Take Poloroids by Japan is one of my absolute favourite albums of all time. It has been so since I bought it back in -81. The songs have a melancholic almost eerie feel to them. Mick Karn's bass play and Steve Jansens drumming give them a weird hypnotic groove that I never heard anywhere else. The album is now available with some really good bonus tracks, among them Richard Barbieri's (who now plays with Porcupine Tree) fantastic instrumental piece The Experience of Swimming. Other songs that stands out besides that and the title song, Gentlemen Take Poloroids are Swing, Methods of Dance and Nightporter. But all tracks are great. This album also gives a good hint about David Sylvian's future solo career. His unique vocal style is already perfected on this, Japans fourth, album. It is hard to exaggerate the impact this album had on me back in the early 80's. It's the soundtrack to so many of my best memories from that part of my life.

No comments: