Monday, February 21, 2005

hunter s thompson found dead


hunter s thompson, originally uploaded by John Barleycorn.

"On Feb. 20, Dr. Hunter S. Thompson took his life with a gunshot to the head at his fortified compound in Woody Creek, Colorado. The family will provide more information about memorial service and media contacts shortly. Hunter prized his privacy and we ask that his friends and admirers respect that privacy as well as that of his family," Juan and Anita Thompson said in a statement released to the Aspen Daily News.

I must say that I'm surprised that he managed to survive this long considering the insane amounts of drugs he used during his lifetime and his extreme interest in firearms. The fact that Hunter S Thompson reached the age of 67 must be seen as a huge victory for the human body. Besides being a former living legend Hunter S Thompson was also known as one of the creators of gonzo journalism. I remember when I first read his hilarious gonzo novel Fear and loathing in Las Vegas. I sat at a small pub in Uppsala laughing out loud for at least two hours. The other guests were looking at me wondering what the hell I was on. It was a great reading experience!

"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers ... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls. [...] The only thing that worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge."
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, 1971, Hunter S Thompson

That's the voice of a very disturbed genius.

"Dr Hunter S Thompson took his life with a gunshot to the head at his fortified compound in Woody Creek" - what more is there to be said - I miss him.

1 comment:

Buy Kamagra said...

He's a crazy man, sometimes I get like this man but it happens when I don't get my medicines because I'm a freak man even more the full moon.